Hi George,

everything works fine now. thanks a lot.
there have been 2 problem. one was the context encoding like you
explained (fixed in sourcecode since 1.5-alpha). the other was a bad
i18n-file. the messages_de.xml was wrong encoded. after solving the
first problem i did not notice it, because i was looking at the
misspelled text out of the i18n.

i wonder where messages_de.xml comes from. it was not in the source but
shows up after packaging with maven. hmm?
did i treat that file somehow wrong or is it buggy from the beginning?
can anyone tell me where how i can get/keep a correct one?

michael

Dipl.- Ing. Michael Steck
FfE - Forschungsstelle für Energiewirtschaft e.V.
Am Blütenanger 71
80995 München
Tel.: 089/158121-22
Fax: 089/158121-10
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.ffe.de

>>> George Hamilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 06/03/08 3:15  >>>
Michael,

Its strange, because I had the same thing - it working in JSP and not
in
XML - and changing the container-encoding worked for me.

Just to be sure, check that the web.xml in tomcat is the same:
<dspace_home>/webapps/xmlui/WEB-INF/web.xml

Remember values that have been inserted before the configuration change

have not been stored in unicode, so try inserting something new (if you

haven't already done so).

George

Michael Steck wrote:
> Thanks George and Sri,
>
> i have experimented a bit but could not fix it.
> I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the database as the
problem
> also occurs in text that was not in touch with the db.
> i looked in web.xml (that of
> dspace-xmlui\dspace-xmlui-webapp\src\main\webapp\WEB-INF\web.xml)
but
> the code there was already  like George suggested:
>
>         <!--
>             Set encoding used by the container. If not set the
> ISO-8859-1 encoding
>             will be assumed.
>             Since the servlet specification requires that the
> ISO-8859-1 encoding
>             is used (by default), you should never change this value
> unless
>             you have a buggy servlet container.
>         -->
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>container-encoding</param-name>
>             <param-value>ISO-8859-1</param-value>
>         </init-param>
>
>         <!--
>             Set form encoding. This will be the character set used
> decode request
>             parameters. If not set the ISO-8859-1 encoding will be
> assumed.
>         -->
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>form-encoding</param-name>
>             <param-value>UTF-8</param-value>
>         </init-param>
>
> i also tried newer versions from svn (1.5.0 beta1 and beta2) but
> without success...
>
> thanks so far,
> michael

> Dipl.- Ing. Michael Steck
> FfE - Forschungsstelle für Energiewirtschaft e.V.
> Am Blütenanger 71
> 80995 München
> Tel.: 089/158121-22
> Fax: 089/158121-10
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> www.ffe.de

> Hi there,
>
> If the database is postgresql, then the below link will help in
> characterset support at Database level
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/multibyte.html
>
> As the form encoding is UTF-8 (presentation layer), the data storage
in
> the DB should also be UTF-8 encoded. I didn't try this in Dspace but
in
> one of my previous project we had similar situation of supporting
> Japanese language where we made the DB encoding as UTF-8 and also
> specified the page encoding as UTF-8 (in jsp) which resolved the
issue.

> This might be of help as scenario is the same.
>
> Sri

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.