This looks very interesting... I can't wait to check it out! Thanks much.

Shane Beers
Digital Repository Services Librarian
George Mason University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://mars.gmu.edu
703-993-3742

On Jul 28, 2008, at 9:32 AM, Thomas A McGee wrote:

Speaking of making batch-importing more accessible, I've put together an Excel spreadsheet that does a lot of the preparatory work. It was inspired by the work the people at Nanyang Technological University had done, using a spreadsheet that held the metadata and running it as a data source through a Java application. My addition is to make it work completely within Excel.

A user will build their directory structure and populate it with the bitstreams:

parent directory
>>subdirectory
>>subdirectory

And then fill out the columns and rows of the spreadsheet corresponding to each subdirectory. Run the macro, and the dublin_core.xml and contents files are generated and put into their corresponding subdirectories.

If you'd like to take a look at this work-in-progress drop me a line and I'll send it to you. I've only tested in on Excel 2003 running on XP. There are still a lot of refinements I want to do to make it easier, and also function things like handling bundles.

You still have to use the command-line tool; this just prepares the necessary directory.

Tom McGee
Seton Hall University TLTC
973 761 9000 x5021 ------------------------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/_______________________________________________