From: Andrew Marlow [mailto:marlow.and...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:55 AM
To: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Dspace-tech] subject hierachy using Dewey Decimal would allow
moreuser friendly browsing

Hello DSpacers,

I would like to be able to browse the subjects hierachically. I am not
sure if DSpace can do that. What I mean is that assuming I have
categorized all my journal articles with multiple db.subject values I
want to start at science (let's say) then drill down to chemistry, then
crystallography. At the moment all these subjects are peers. How do I
arrange them in a hierachy please?

I know that Dewey Decimal (DD) is not the be-all-and-end-all but IMO it
would be useful for this. Are there any plans for DSpace to provide
better support for DD? What I would like is for DSpace to know the DD
hierachy. Then when I file an article with a very specific DD number it
would generate all the subjects that lead to it. That would be much more
user-friendly that having to file multiple dc.subject values. Do people
think this would be useful? Maybe it is over the top or impractical. I
thought I would raise it here first before putting it in as a feature
request.

Andrew M.