Hi Wayne,

[replying to dspace-tech rather than dspace-general, since it’s a slightly
techie answer]

It might come down to what pattern matching you can do on e-people to figure
out who is a grad student and who isn’t...

StackableAuthentication can be made to do some cool stuff... MIT do something
similar to what you’re suggesting, where they match certain email address
domains, and give special group membership based on that. If there’s anything
common to grad students that Dspace knows about (eg. email, phone extension) or
can find out about (eg. IP address range), then StackableAuthentication can
help.

If you have student accounts in AD,  perhaps it’s worth looking at LDAP to get
more group membership info.

I’ve only scratched the surface with this stuff, so I can’t give any meaningful
advice, sorry, just throwing some ideas out there.

Stackable Auth: http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/StackableAuthenticationMethods

http://dspace.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dspace/trunk/dspace/docs/configure.html#authentication

LDAP:
http://blog.stuartlewis.com/2008/08/18/test-ldap-service-upgraded-now-with-branches/