On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Stan Orlov <stan.or...@msvu.ca> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> It was certainly asked before, but I would like to confirm whether it is
> possible to have a completely different (from the rest of the IR) look and
> feel for an individual community and its collections.  I have v.1.5.1 on
> Windows and want to use Manakin.

The answer is that it is *mostly* possible. People who get to an item
through its community or collection page will only ever see the one
Manakin theme. Anyone else -- and that's many users; I would say
*most* users who don't just land on an item page, grab what they want,
and go -- will almost certainly see more than one theme, e.g. when
searching or browsing across the entire repository. (I've also noticed
some mildly odd behavior around admin screens and themes -- e.g. when
trying to log in from a page with a non-default theme, it shoots me
back to the default theme briefly, then back to the non-default theme
for the submit screens.)

There's no good way to fix this that I can think of; it's an
indeterminate problem. But for public-relations ("we want our own
branding") purposes, Manakin is pretty much good enough, because
communities/collections can look completely different, and even (to
some extent) behave differently. Compare the front page of the UW
repository <http://minds.wisconsin.edu/> (default theme) with the
community page for the Madison campus
<http://minds.wisconsin.edu/handle/1793/8334>. This is Manakin atop
1.5.1.

>  And if yes, what is the best way for a
> novice to start modifying it?  I read some posts and the Wiki, but maybe
> there are some good introductory how-to(s) that I am missing?

<http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Manakin_theme_tutorial> should get
you started.

Dorothea

--
Dorothea Salo                ds...@library.wisc.edu
Digital Repository Librarian      AIM: mindsatuw