Has anyone tried using mod_proxy with Tomcat and Apache?

We have been using mod_jk for years in connecting Tomcat with Apache.
It has worked failry well, allthough mod_jk sometimes seems to make
Apache hang which then needs to be restarted. Recently I started
experiencing with mod_proxy. It seems to work well, but today I
noticed that I cannot login to DSpace on proxied address?? After
entering my userid and password I am subsequently being thrown back to
login page. If I try to login on the real address (non proxied) of the
instance, everything works fine.

Any clues what might be causing this and how to fix this?

Thanks,
Mika