I would suggest *not* using Ident authentication for DSpace's access
to the database.  Since you are providing the driver a username and a
password, you should be using one of the password authentication
methods.  I usually use 'md5'.  This is set in the fifth column
("METHOD") of the pg_hba.conf file.

Ident authentication requires that either:

o  the username in which the process runs is identical to the database
   username used to establish the database connection; or

o  you have set up an "ident map" file to map the OS username to the
   DBMS username.

Unless you have rather unusual requirements, Ident authentication is
probably not what you want.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.