Looks like it has already been done (for DSpace) by the OhioLINK
developers using on-the-fly tile creation:

http://dltj.org/article/introducing-j2ktilerenderer/

Thanks,

Stuart Lewis

Digital Services Programmer

Te Tumu Herenga The University of Auckland Library

Auckland Mail Centre, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand

Ph: 64 9 373-7599 x81928

http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz <http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz/> /