Susan,

I try to answer inline...

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[RAYTHEON
TECHNICAL SERVICES COMPANY] <susan.m.thorn...@nasa.gov> wrote:

>             What is the best way to get your /dspace directory correctly
> upgraded in Production?  It seems to me that I’ve been unclear on this in
> previous releases and have had problems as a result.  My confusion arises
> from the following factors:
>
> 1.                   The directory/file structure in DSpace 1.5.1 under
> /dspace is different:
>
> a.       /jsp directory resides under /dspace in 1.4.2; no /jsp directory
> in 1.5.1

the jsp directory that goes into /dspace was never used outside the source
tree in 1.4.2 so you should feel comfortable removing it.

>  b.       The /bin directory never got overlaid when you recompiled the
> application in 1.4.2;  in 1.5.1, the /bin directory gets rebuilt from
> /dspace-source/dspace/bin every time you reassemble/recompile the
> application

not only the bin, but files do get added to the "config", and the "lib",
"webapp" and "etc" directories are backed up each build so that they can be
recovered if necessary.

>  c.       /assetstore resides under /dspace in 1.4.2 and 1.5.1, however I
> do NOT want to copy over my test (1.5.1) /assetstore over my prod (1.4.2)
> assetstore b/c I only have a subset of data in Test

An option, change the dspace.cfg assetstore location outside the  /dspace
directory and maintain it separately.

>  2.                   When I first started our 1.5.1 implementation in
> Test, I copied everything under /dspace/bin in 1.4.2 to
> /dspace-source/dspace/bin; however we have added new files and modified some
> old files in /dspace/bin in 1.4.2 since then – very confusing as to which
> /dspace/bin files are the “correct” ones

You should take all your changes in the /dspace/bin and try to maintain them
in your [dspace-source]/dspace/bin rather than maintaining them directly in
the installation.  Next time you need to upgrade, you'll have them in the
[dspace-source].  If you maintain your [dspace-source] in a version control
system, then you can keep track of those changes as if they are "source"
just like all your other changes.

>  The documentation for upgrading from 1.4.2 to 1.5.1 does not specifically
> address this issue.
>
> I caution the documentation needs updating to address such issues and that
we need volunteers to work on this documentation from the community.

Mark

--

Mark R. Diggory
@mire NV USA