Interesting, I didn't realize that.  I just took a look in the
metadatavalue table and realized that there is a row for every metadata
field for every item, where text_value is just blank where that item has
no data for that field.  I suppose that would by my fault for creating the
dublin_core.xml the wrong way.  I guess I just assumed that if the xml
value was empty then the batch import would skip over it.

I should be good to just delete all the metadatavalue rows where the
text_value field is blank and alter my script for creating dublin_core.xml
files for the future.

Thanks for the info, Stuart!

-Sarah Ryder
Web Development