Hi Guys, I am very new to Dspace, I am using ubuntu 9.4, my aim is to install
dspace 1.5.2 on ubuntu desktop box please help me i tried the online manual
without success.

-----Original Message-----
From: Antonio Cuomo [mailto:anto...@parliaments.info]
Sent: Mon 7/13/2009 4:07 PM
To: Mark Diggory
Cc: dspace-tech; dspace-de...@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] [Dspace-devel] [Dspace-general] show HTML data

Dear Mark, it's the common behavior with all the DSpace installation i have
seen (MIT included).

The problem is that all the data in the field dc.description are saved as
plain text for security issues.

so the data must to be reconverted in html before being pushed to the UI.

so, do you know what is the java class that retrieve the information from
the database and pass it to the UI?

thank you very much
Antonio

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Mark Diggory <mdigg...@atmire.com> wrote:

> Antonio,
>
> It is unclear why your case is not working.  I can assure you that a
> default installation of DSpace Manakin XMLUI will allow you to place
> html in the form fields for any Community/Collection and that will
> render as HTML in the Community/collection views without being
> escaped, this is expected behavior.  IT shouldn't require altering the
> xslt templates to correct for your problem, there is apparently
> something else going wrong with your installation.  HTML escaping is
> not used when the content is stored in the database, it is stored as
> plain old unescaped html text.  I suspect that there is something
> concerning your environment different from a typical default
> installation running on tomcat/linux that is giving rise to this
> problem.
>
> > the "problem" that the data inside the database are saved as text and
> > special character are added to avoid SQL-injection
>
> Are you running some sort of sql-injection filtering in-front of DSpace?
>
> Mark
>
> --
> Mark R. Diggory
> @mire - http://www.atmire.com
>
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 3:33 AM, Antonio Cuomo<anto...@parliaments.info>
> wrote:
> > Dear Mark, thank you for your reply,
> >
> > unfortunately i didn't worked.
> >
> > The problem is:
> > cocoon throught a java class take the data from the data base and pass
> them
> > directly to manakin without any change.
> >
> > manakin build up the layout the sent it to the browser with the data
> cocoon
> > passed
> >

> > the "problem" that the data inside the database are saved as text and
> > special character are added to avoid SQL-injection
> > so if i write:
> >
> > the data appears in the data base in this way
> >
> > &lt;h3&gt;Ciao&lt;/h3&gt; &lt;br/&gt; &lt;p&gt;for ever &lt;p&gt;
> >
> > and so what the browser receive is
> >
> > &lt;h3&gt;Ciao&lt;/h3&gt; &lt;br/&gt; &lt;p&gt;for ever &lt;p&gt;
> >
> > that is visualized as
> >
> > what i need is to decode this special carachers &lt;  and  &gt;  in < and
> >

> > to do this i can try to modify the xsl DIM-Handler (do u know how?)
> >
> > or the java cocoon class (do you know witch one and how?)
> >
> > Thank you very much
> > Antonio
> >

> > On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 3:02 AM, Mark Diggory <mdigg...@atmire.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Use well formed xml here and try to wrap content with a <div> or <p>
> >> tag and it should work better for you. You shouldn't require
> >> alteration of the xslt for this.

> >> <h3> hello </h3>
> >>
> >> Mark
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark R. Diggory
> >> @mire - http://www.atmire.com

> course

> >> Enter the BlackBerry Developer Challenge
> [...]

is intended for the addressee only. It is confidential. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the
original message. You may not copy or disseminate this communication without
the permission of the University. Only authorized signatories are competent to
enter into agreements on behalf of the University and recipients are thus
advised that the content of this message may not be legally binding on the
University and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which
are not necessarily the views and opinions of The University of the
Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University and
outsiders are subject to South African Law unless the University agrees in