Google responds to updating its index of URL's when you throw the HTTP 301 -
Moved Permanently code.

If you have apache mod_rewrite installed this could be a .htaccess regular
expression.

RewriteRule ^xmlui/handle/123456789/*$ xmlui/handle/10587/$1 [L,R=301,NE]
Note: I haven't tested this, but I think its the idea.

The goal is that the next time GoogleBot is crawling links to
[yoursite]/123456789 it gets a 301, and then gets the new page location,
which tells it that 123456789 is no longer the best url. This could take
several weeks / months for GoogleBot to crawl each page and for the index to
update. The only lingering problem is that if someone cites an item with a
handle of 123456789.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Stan Orlov <stan.or...@msvu.ca> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We have recently registered with Handle.net and changed our 123456789
> prefix to 10587 for all existing and new items.  However, we are now in the
> situation where Google has indexed all our older items with the prefix of
> 123456789 and they don't resolve anymore when you click on a Google search
> result.  We've tried to manually add them in Google's Webmaster Tools
> one-by-one or as a directory, but the cached URLs are in a form
> dc.myuniversity.ca:8080/xmlui/handle/[handle-prefix]/[item<http://dc.myuniversity.ca:8080/xmlui/handle/%5Bhandle-prefix%5D/%5Bitem>number],
>  while Webmaster tools only allow to remove cached URLs that start
> with "dc.myuniversity.ca/".
>
> What can we do to get rid of the old cached URLs so Google only shows the
> updated urls?
>
> Cheers,
> Stan

Peter Dietz