On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, TAYLOR Robin wrote:

> Dates held in the metadatavalues table are converted from their local
>time zone to UTC before being stored in the database. The problem is that
>they are not generally converted back to their local time zone before
>being displayed (see Jira http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-568).
>This is misleading to the user. You could conceiveably see that you had
>submitted an item whilst you were still asleep in bed. I'm not sure what
>to do about this. It would be messy to always check for a metadatavalue
>being a date before displaying it. What would be the consequences of not
>storing dates as UTC ? Could we store them with a time zone eg "22:30+04"
>? This might be a little less confusing. I'm sure there are good reasons
>for storing dates as UTC I just don't know what they are, can anyone help
>?

They're stored in Zulu time, which has the advantage of not being
dependent on time zones or daylight savings.

The best thing to do is to store them in this timezone, but to convert
them on display to the local time.

Best,

--
Tom De Mulder <td...@cam.ac.uk> - Cambridge University Computing Service
+44 1223 3 31843 - New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QH