The same thing happens in both JSPUI and XMLUI. I guess that means the
problem is not at the UI layer but something deeper. The Browse or Handle
servlets?

This dual-display happens while viewing a particular item i.e. url like
[host]/[dspace or xmlui]/handle/number1/number2
also the author names are displayed twice when i browse using titles with an
url [host]/[dspace or xmlui]/browse?type=title

Any help is much appreciated.