I'll jump in...

I have the shared frustration that it is really hard to get others who are
skilled in regular web development to jump in and help out when it comes to
XMLUI. I'm not supporting the overthrow of DRI, atleast not until an
improved way of doing things is available. So, if we can improve the themes
to make XMLUI development better, then lets work on themes.

(In-line editing)...
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Walker, David <dwal...@calstate.edu>wrote:

> This is a very reasonable proposal, Tim.
>
> I feel compelled to put my development time where my mouth is -- and at
> least get something started.  Although we need a cooler name than QuickStart
> theme. ;-)

To me, DRI kind of sounds like DRY, (Don't Repeat Yourself), in my
experience with structural.xsl, it feels like anything that could be
compacted into a single function has been done. So, for starters, I would
almost want a "Please Repeat Yourself" theme I'll call it PRY / prybar.

> But if the long-term outcome here is just an alternate Theme (albeit one
> that is fundamentally different from all the others), then I think we've
> just created more (and duplicate) work for everyone.

Well, I'm thinking we could have community maintained themes that can live
and grow outside of the central repository. May the best way of working with
xmlui win for each IR.
Think: not DRI+structural is wrong, but DRI+prybar works better for me.

The core-themes in XMLUI haven't had much if any attention recently:
1 -- They don't contain "bugs" or "lack features", atleast not much that has
made it into our bugtracker JIRA.
2 -- They're viewed as part of a local IR's customizations. (atleast in my
opinion).

That doesn't mean that an effort to improve them can't take place.

Down the road, to specify theme compatibility, one could say that you can
version the themes.
So, in the case of the hypothetical prybar theme.
-- Prybar-0.1 (released today) to Prybar-1.0 (released at end of the year)
will be compatible with dspace-xmlui-1.6 to dspace-xmlui-1.7 (which have no
DRI modifications).
-- dspace-xmlui-1.8 which could change the DRI it creates, or was refactored
to simply pass data to the presentation layer, then the maintainer of prybar
would need to update their theme to take advantage of these changes and
release prybar-2.0

This won't be maintained by the "DSpace developers", but by the theme
developer. Good themes that are created can get mentioned in the XMLUI
customization section of the documentation.

To support more experimentation with DSpace XMLUI themes, I suggest that we
consider doing distributed development (Git) for this. I sent out a proposal
on dspace-tech last week, and so far I have the
dspace-xmlui-webapp/src/main/webapp/ code up on Github. In there you can
find a clone of xmlui/webapp tag of
1.6.2<http://github.com/DSpace/xmlui-webapp>.
I have put my university's modifications
(OSUlibraries<http://github.com/osulibraries/xmlui-webapp>)
in, and SUNScholar <http://github.com/SUNScholar/xmlui-webapp> has put their
code up there as well.

P.S. The network graph looks kind of cool:
http://github.com/DSpace/xmlui-webapp/network

Other people can do the same (Individuals or Organizations / Institutions).
Fork the tag, add their code, and let others know what they can find from
their theme customizations.

My University's theme-directory has a book-reader theme, someone who wants
that can clone it, make some bug fixes to their own checkout, and I can see
what they've changed. Anyone who makes a "QuickStart" / "prybar" /
"one-file-per-page" theme could do the same, and let others know that now
that they've broken up their theme, its easier to modify and maintain.

So, good luck, this is just a suggestion. But I think this is also easier
than managing svn commit rights.
--
Peter Dietz
Systems Developer/Engineer