Salut Fabian,

having redundant counts has been discussed a while ago and been left as
it is. Both approaches have disadvantages. If you do a distinct count
then the user might be presented with lists where the sum of the
subcommunities/collections does not fit the total in the community,
which might be confusing. Maybe this should be made configurable in
order to better fit the different use cases.

Hope that helps

Claudia Jürgen

Am 20.10.2010 09:14, schrieb Fabian Smagghe:
> Hi,
>
> In function Community.countItems(), we made dso.countItems () for each
> collection and each subcommunity within: if some items are linked to
> several collections and/or subcommunities, these items are counted
> several times and the number of items in the Community is overvalued. In
> our repository, many items are linked to 2 collections (+- 20%).
>
> In function Community.countItems(), why not use a query like this
> (similar query used in function Collection.countItems()):
> query =" SELECT count(*) FROM communities2item, item WHERE "
> + "communities2item.community_id = ? "
> + "AND communities2item.item_id = item.item_id "
> + "AND in_archive ='1' AND item.withdrawn='0'";
>
> Should this problem be reported in JIRA ?
>
> Thanks
> Fabian Smagghe
> Université de Liège

> Download new Adobe(R) Flash(R) Builder(TM) 4
> The new Adobe(R) Flex(R) 4 and Flash(R) Builder(TM) 4 (formerly
> Flex(R) Builder(TM)) enable the development of rich applications that run
> across multiple browsers and platforms. Download your free trials today!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-dev2dev

Claudia Juergen
Universitaetsbibliothek Dortmund
Eldorado