Below is what I find in the tomcat6 log after trying to connect to the newly
installed dspace 1.7. I noticed the access denied item so I went back and
opened all the permissions for everything in the dspace directory inward, then
restarted everything but still received the same errors. I don't understand how
it can say access denied to the /dspace/config/dspace.cfg file when it's got
full open permissions.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dec 3, 2010 1:06:32 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of
class org.dspace.app.util.DSpaceContextListener
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission
/dspace/config/dspace.cfg read)
        at
java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:342)
        at
java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:553)
        at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:549)
        at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(SecurityManager.java:888)
        at java.io.File.isDirectory(File.java:769)
        at java.io.File.toURI(File.java:678)
        at
org.dspace.core.ConfigurationManager.loadConfig(ConfigurationManager.java:888)
        at
org.dspace.app.util.DSpaceContextListener.contextInitialized(DSpaceContextListener.java:100)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3934)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4429)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:791)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.access$000(ContainerBase.java:123)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$PrivilegedAddChild.run(ContainerBase.java:145)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:769)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:526)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1039)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:961)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:502)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1258)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:321)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:722)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1045)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:516)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:710)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:583)
        at
        at
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:288)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.commons.daemon.support.DaemonLoader.start(DaemonLoader.java:177)
Dec 3, 2010 1:06:32 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStop
SEVERE: Exception sending context destroyed event to listener instance of class
org.dspace.app.util.DSpaceContextListener
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at
org.dspace.app.util.DSpaceContextListener.contextDestroyed(DSpaceContextListener.java:129)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStop(StandardContext.java:3973)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.stop(StandardContext.java:4577)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4474)
[...]
Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
(java.io.FilePermission /dspace/config/dspace.cfg read)
        at
java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:342)
        at
java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:553)
        at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:549)
        at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(SecurityManager.java:888)
        at java.io.File.isDirectory(File.java:769)
        at java.io.File.toURI(File.java:678)
        at
org.dspace.core.ConfigurationManager.loadConfig(ConfigurationManager.java:881)
        at
org.dspace.core.ConfigurationManager.getMutableProperties(ConfigurationManager.java:130)
        at
org.dspace.core.ConfigurationManager.getProperty(ConfigurationManager.java:172)
        at
org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.<clinit>(DatabaseManager.java:68)
        ... 33 more