Hello,

I have a specific problem and a general question regarding best practices.

Through the Admin UI, I recently deleted a collection to get rid of the
collection and its constituent items and bitstreams.  The items were
successfully removed, but links in the author browse index persist.  When I
click on a link, I get the message "Sorry, there are no results for this
browse."  I have run indexupdate, but the problem persists.  Do I need to stop
Tomcat and rebuild the indexes every time an item is deleted?  That solution is
less than ideal as I am a repository manager and do not have access to Tomcat.

Generally speaking, when an item is no longer needed as part of the repository,
is it better to delete items or withdrawal them?

Details:
We are running DSpace 1.7.1 on a windows server.
We have Discovery turned on and the Discovery facets and filters do update
correctly when an item is deleted.

Thanks in advance,
David

David Isaak
Digital Projects Librarian
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research
3800 N. Interstate Ave. Portland, OR 97227
503.335.2437 (tie-line 60-2437)