Hi Joshua,

The error message below suggests that you are running the openjdk.  Instead,
try installing the official Sun JDK:

 -
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Installing+DSpace+1.7+on+Ubuntu#InstallingDSpace1.7onUbuntu-%28OPTIONAL%29ChangetousingSun%2FOracleJavaJDK

This will hopefully help.

Thanks,

Stuart Lewis
Digital Development Manager
Te Tumu Herenga The University of Auckland Library
Auckland Mail Centre, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Ph: +64 (0)9 373 7599 x81928