There are some reports of this working with as many as 1000 items.
http://dspace.2283337.n4.nabble.com/Excel-to-Dspace-td3310564.html
Though it seems to be dependent on the amount of RAM available on your server.

Relatedly, does anyone know how safe it is to test higher limit values?  I
looked at the code to determine whether these batch edits occur within a single
database transaction, but I didn't see any evidence either way.

Thanks,
Alex Lemann