Hi Patrick,

I'm on of the developers that uses the NetBeans IDE for all of my DSpace work.
I'm sure there are a lot of similarities in terms of functionality that
IntelliJ provides, but as was mentioned, the auto-complete feature for methods
and fields in a given class can give you a lot of efficiency.  NetBeans (and
other IDEs) also provide you with the ability to hold down Command (on a Mac, I
imagine Ctrl on a PC) and click on a method or field and be taken directly to
its definition in the code-base.  I find this invaluable for groking code that
I've never worked on before (in concert with the Forward and Back navigation
buttons).  Similarly, the "Find Usages" feature will allow you to search for a
list of every use of a class or method, as well as any inheriting or
implementing classes of a given class or interface.

Also, I've found the NetBeans Maven integration to be completely painless.
Finally, WRT integration with JIRA, NetBeans does have this, and I've used it
successfully.  http://wiki.netbeans.org/FaqHowToJira

--
sands fish
Senior Software Engineer