Helix,

Yeah, it looks like the bug report you filed[1] describes the issue I'm
talking about; the default behavior makes sense to developers, but not
to users.

I guess DSpace is still evolving, and with each release it's getting
more and more user friendly.  Hopefully some more polish comes to the
out-of-box experience, possibly by way of some modifications to the
default XMLUI theme, or maybe a default (configurable via dspace.cfg)
collection view.  I've seen at least one XMLUI example where recent
submissions were in the side bar, and the main content stressed that you
actually have to choose a browse type in order to see the collection
contents.  We don't want to lose users because they're confused and
can't navigate our repositories.  Furthermore, Discovery's faceted
search was suggested as a solution, but I'm not entirely sure it
addresses this particular usability problem (though it is a cool way to
navigate repository data).

Cheers,

Alan

[1] https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1188