Hello from the DSpace 3.0 Release Team!

I would like to announce the official schedule for the DSpace 3.0 Test-A-Thon
and release schedule.  We kicked the idea around a bit and decided that since
there is still much documentation to get in (which is of course necessary for a
good round of testing), we will be adjusting the schedule as follows:

  Thurs, Oct 4 : Perform 3.0 RC1 Release
  Mon, Oct 8 - Fri, Oct 19 : Testathon
  Mon, Oct 22 - Weds, Oct 31 : Bug Fixing based on Testathon
  Thurs, Nov 1 : Perform 3.0 RC2 Release
  Mon, Nov 5 - Weds, Nov 14 : Final Testing / Bug Fixing
  Thurs, Nov 15 : Perform 3.0 Final Release
  Fri, Nov 16 : Announce 3.0 Final Release

(Please see the bottom of this message for a list of features that still need
documentation.  It is very important that we get these items filled out before
Monday, October 8th.)

This is your opportunity to get a preview of the upcoming 3.0 release, while
also helping us to fully test the system and squash any last bugs!

During the Testathon, you can help us by testing an early version of 3.0 on our
Demo Site (http://demo.dspace.org) or other available Testathon sites (TBA).

If you are technically inclined, next week you may also download a copy of this
early release (3.0 RC1) and install it on your own local development server.

Some key 3.0 features to be on the lookout for include:

  - Item Level Versioning
  - External Identifier Services
  - Advanced Embargo Support
  - Discovery enhancements
  - Configurable Workflow Enhancements
  - Statistics Enhancements
  - Type based submissions
  - OAI 2.0
  - Discovery for JSPUI
  - Bibliographic Export Formats
  - Elastic Search Statistics
  - Alternative Metrics
  - Numerous other features, improvements & bug fixes!

This is only a quick sampling of what this huge release will include.  A full
list of features/changes in DSpace 3.0 can be found at:
  https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+3.0+Notes

We will be sending more details about the Test-a-thon as it approaches.

Thanks!  We hope you enjoy your preview of 3.0!  Don't hesitate to get in touch
with any feedback!

 - The DSpace 3.0 Release Team

P.S. - Another big thanks to Tim Donohue and the rest of the 3.0 Release Team
for their dedication and work to make this release happen.

DSpace 3.x Documentation:
  https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/DSpace+3.x+Documentation

The following seem to have little or no documentation at this time:

1. How to upgrade to 3.x -- nothing is written

2. Changes to Installation instructions in 3.x. Robin has been working on this
already, but some changes may still be necessary after the Maven Consolidation
work completes (plus need to review our prerequisites again)

3. OAI 2.0 / XOAI -- some docs linked off
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1202 (but they need to be moved). Also
need to search for all mentions of 'oaicat.properties' as this file is now gone
& replaced.

4. @mire Versioning feature (supposedly docs are coming)

5. @mire external identifiers service (this comes along with the versioning
stuff, but may need its own docs)

6. @mire Configurable Workflow enhancements

7. @mire Statistics enhancements

8. Type Based Submission (https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1127). Docs need
moving over.

9. CILEA Discovery for JSPUI (if needed)

10. Elastic Search Docs (supposedly coming from Peter)

11. Any other features that are new in 3.0 which are missing docs