On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 7:26 AM, mErRYo <merryob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am using Dspace 3.0 jspui with discovery. I want to know what this
> restricted item setting is for. In my dspace.cfg file I tried to make the
> values of harvest.includerestricted.oai = true, harvest.includerestricted.rss
> = true & harvest.includerestricted.subscription = true all as false but i
> cant see
> any change on my interface settings or any functionality. Can any one
> explain in detail as the manual doesn't cover much for understanding.

Here's a helpful explanation what restricted items actually are:

http://www.scottphillips.com/2011/08/find-all-restricted-items-within-dspace/

> Secondly I also want users who are not authenticated on my dspace can only
> see meta data and attached bitstream of an item but cannot view or download
> it untill they are properly authenticated. I mean whenever they click the
> view or open or bitstream name hyperlink they must always direct to login
> page. Any help in this regard shall highly be appreciated.

To do that, you have to do 3 things:

1) Create a user group
2) Put all your users in that group
3) Edit authorization policies of all bitstreams of all items:
3.1) Add a READ right for the group you created in 1)
3.2) Remove the READ right from Anonymous

I know that might sound like a lot of work, so you can go to XMLUI,
log in as admin, go to Administrative -> Access Control ->
Authorizations -> wildcard policy admin tool, and use that to add and
remove the authorizations of all bitstreams in just 2 steps. AFAIK,
JSPUI doesn't have an equivalent tool.

Regards,
~~helix84