On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Matthew Ames <matt...@vt.edu> wrote:

> First of all hello from Roanoke, VA. I'm Matt Ames a student at
> Virginia Tech. I'm planning on building a digital repository to
> preserve documents related to the history of audio-visual technology.
> My questions:
> 1.) Is DSpace the right tool for preserving around 600 files? Or would
> DSpace be over kill?

Hi Matt,

it would be a small repository, but yes, there's no reason why you

> 2.) Is it possible to create a relational database in DSpace that
> relates data in the documents (Author, topic, date, location, etc.)?

Yes, DSpace already uses relational database as data store. The information
is stored in these tables (this is a simplified model just to show you
where to find what you need):

metadatafieldregistry table:
metadata_field_id | element | qualifier
3 | contributor | author
57 | subject | NULL

metadatavalue table:
metadata_value_id | item_id | metadata_field_id | text_value
123456 | 1234 | 3 | Ames, Matthew||Doe, John
234567 | 1234 | 57 | keyword1||keyword2

This shows up in the interface as:
dc.contributor.author = Ames, Matthew
dc.contributor.author = Doe, John
dc.subject = keyword1
dc.subject = keyword2

Of course, you shouldn't need to access the DB directly unless you want to.

> Just trying to figure out if DSpace is the right tool, I'd like for
> the repository to conform to OAIS.

I don't know much about OAIS, but I know that DSpace was designed according
to the OAIS reference model. Try googling for "dspace oais".

Regards,
~~helix84