All,

We've been on and off battling with excessive XMLUI caching in our
DSpace environment.  It seems the server-side issue is less rampant
since 1.8.x introduced the ability to clear the Cocoon cache from the
Control Panel.  Now we're attempting to solve the client-side caching
issue, and I'd like to know what settings other people are using.  Our
environment uses Apache httpd in front of Tomcat, so we put this in our
DSpace virtual host:

     ### See: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_expires.html
     # Turn on Expires and set default to 1
     <IfModule mod_expires.c>
         ExpiresActive On
         ExpiresDefault A1
     </IfModule>

I'm wondering if "Access +1 second" is a bit overzealous.  Perhaps we
should be using the modification time of the file (CSS or GIF, for
example).  What are you guys using?

Thanks!

--
Alan Orth