Hello,

DSpace JSPUI only supports up to 3 workflow steps, as you mentioned.

However, if you instead used the DSpace XMLUI, you could enable the new
Configurable Workflow feature to more easily customize your workflow
approval process:

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Configurable+Workflow

The Configurable Workflow feature is only currently available for the
XMLUI (in DSpace 1.8 or above).

Currently, there is no easy way to add more workflow steps to the DSpace
JSPUI -- you'd have to customize a large amount of code, and it would
not be recommended (as it could make future upgrades more difficult).

It might be possible to try and "port" the Configurable Workflow feature
over to the JSPUI. I'm not certain how difficult that would be (as
admittedly, I'm not an expert on Configurable Workflow). But, if you
went that direction, I'd encourage you to submit your changes back to
the DSpace codebase -- as we could offer that improvement in a future
DSpace release.

- Tim