Hi Pascal,

the problem you're trying to cope with is that HTTP doesn't have a
native way of resuming uploads (at least not that browsers actually
implement). This is the only advantage of FTP over HTTP, other than
that, FTP has only disadvantages - the need for an active port,
unfamiliarity to most modern users. I'd argue that you don't want to
use a different protocol, only a frontend that allows you to resume,
show progress and upload multiple files in a series. This can be done
using HTTP as the protocol - look at e.g. Gmail attachment or Youtube
video uploads. Yes, this requires an extra programmatic support on
both server and client side. There are quite a lot of existing
solutions out there (here's a random example, although it doesn't have
all the features:
http://www.solmetra.com/en/disp.php/en_products/flash_uploader/uploader_intro).
But if you are going to solve this problem, why not solve it in an
ideal way that will also benefit other DSpace users (assuming you'll
share your work).

If this is, for whatever reason, not the way you want to go, I can
list the different ways how you can get bitstreams to DSpace (but all
of them will require some customization of your DSpace).

As a sidenote, here's a different solution actively being worked on:
http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/openexeterrdm/blog/2012/10/19/big-data-submission-tool-at-the-idcc/
This should be covered by the OR13 presentation "Moving BIG DATA into
DSpace" by Lee Taylor from University of Exeter.

Regards,
~~helix84