On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Spencer Lamm <sla...@swarthmore.edu> wrote:
> 1) This wiki post by Mark Diggory details how to upgrade on the same box
> without overwriting - essentially install the new code, diff the config file
> differences, copy the db files to the new instance, and run the db upgrades.
> We need to upgrade on a new server due to OS issues. Are there any
> additional considerations replicating Mark's process on a new server?
> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/To+upgrade+without+overwriting

Hi Spencer,

using a new server when upgrading is actually a procedure I would
recommend over in-place upgrade, especially in case of a large version
jump.

I outlined the procedure here (I really need to make a wiki page for it):

http://dspace.2283337.n4.nabble.com/Migrate-1-8-to-3-0-database-td4661490.html
http://dspace.2283337.n4.nabble.com/migrate-repository-into-a-new-instances-machine-td4660930.html

Basically, make sure you read through each of the upgrading
instructions (1.5->1.6, 1.6->1.7, ...). You don't need to do all the
steps, but at the very least you have to run the database migration
scripts in the correct order. Then, in the last one (1.8->3.1) follow
the repeated steps you previously skipped.

> 2) Our assetstore is on a Compellent SAN accessible via a server mount.
> What I would love to do is use this upgrade as an opportunity to set up live
> and development DSpace servers that are as close as possible to being exact
> replicas. Is it possible to have two DSpace instances pointing to the same
> assetstore? Do database changes in DSpace upgrades affect the assetstore ?

Yes, it's possible, but I strongly recommend against it! If you did,
you could delete a file in the staging instance and it would be also
missing in the production instance assetstore, but the production
instance wouldn't know about it, because it would still have a record
that it exists in its database.

What you can do is make separate assetstores and use some
deduplication method (because most of the files will be the same) -
from primitive ones like hardlinks to advanced ones like deduplication
on ZFS - check with your SAN admin.

Regards,
~~helix84