On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 10:15:43AM -0700, Charlene Chinda Barina wrote:
> A question about multiple DSpace instances. I looked through the
> documentation and there's a bit - but from a 1.8 release and referring to
> .war files, which doesn't seem to be applicable to the default situation of
> uncompressed directories for 3.2.
>
> What I have is:
>
>    1. Two separate source directories, which I'm building separately for
>    each instance.
>    2. Two separate databases, with their separate users

Correct.

>    3. The install directory being subdirectories for each under /dspace,
>    e.g., /dspace/instance1 and /dspace/instance2

This seems reasonable.

>    4. dspace.install.dir being set to these subdirectories for each source
>    directory in build.properties.

Correct.

>    5. In tomcat (/usr/share/tomcat7/conf/Catalina/localhost/instance2, for
>    example) I have a instance2.xml file that has this:
>    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>    <Context docBase="/dspace/instance2/webapps" path="/instance2" />

I think the problem is here in (5).  It appears that you have one
<Host> element in /usr/share/tomcat7/conf/server.xml, named
"localhost", and you want both instances to appear as separate paths
on that Host.  In that case, instance2.xml (and instance1.xml) should
both be in /usr/share/tomcat7/conf/Catalina/localhost.  Tomcat is not
seeing the Context files because they are not where it looks for them.

If you place the Contexts in
/usr/share/tomcat7/conf/Catalina/localhost/instance1.xml and
/usr/share/tomcat7/conf/Catalina/localhost/instance2.xml, you should
see two instances of DSpace at /instance1 and /instance2.

The 'path' attribute is not defined for use in these files.  It is
only defined for a <Context> declared in server.xml.  An external Context
file's name (minus the ".xml") determines the path being described.

I see that you solved the problem another way, but I wanted to explain
why the problem occurred.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.