I recently moved to DSpace 4.0 from 3.x.  I set up an empty Dspace 4.0
system, did an AIP backup of the whole 3.x site and then restored the site
into the new system.

It's been fine for the most part, but when adding an item recently, I got a
error at the end of the submission process, saying there was a problem
assigning handle x/1623, which isn't surprising since that handle is in
use.  Upon closer inspection, I see that the ID of my new item is 1623.  It
did end up getting assigned an available handle x/1631 (which is our
highest assigned handle so far), but obviously there was a bump in the road
on the way there.

We did have a handful of deleted items on our old system, and my guess is
that since those weren't brought over, that caused the item id count to be
slightly smaller than the handle count.

I have added an item before that without any errors, and it did fill in an
unused handle in the middle without a problem.  Is there anything I should
look to do in the code or in the database to prevent this error from
popping up again?

--
Jason Sherman
Systems Librarian