Hello,

   the best one is the one you want. Your favorite OS is good choice
because you probably know it very well so you can quickly solve any
troubles. Among various OSes we have/had DSpace on several
distros (Debian, Mint, Gentoo, Fedora and even Windows 7) without
significant troubles - so the choice is yours.

   I can recommend Debian for production environment, because every
version has a quite long support (and version upgrades are not so often).

   Vlastik