Steve,

I've previously dealt with performance penalties with particular combos of
Java and Tomcat versions.
Was your Java or Tomcat recently updated?
What version of Java are you using?
What exact version of Tomcat are you on? eg. 7.x.x
What is your logging level set to in log4j.properties?

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Steve Thomas <stephen.tho...@adelaide.edu.au
> wrote:

> We're having continuing performance problems with our DSpace server. We're
> running version 1.6.2 on RHEL 4, so, yeah, everything is old. But service
> has been reliable, mostly, until recently.
>
> The symptom is that DSpace will become "unresponsive" at the browser.
> Checking the server, we'll typically find that the java process is running
> at 170% cpu, so my guess is a runaway process, which explains the slow/no
> response. But why?
>
> Checking the logs, both dspace.log and catalina.out, gives no real clue.
> dspace.log is typically full of broken pipe errors, but these are,I guess,
> another symptom. We also get broken pipe errors through the day, even when
> DSpace is running normally.
>
> Possibly unrelated, we also periodically find that dspace.log has filled
> up all available disk space -- more than 100GB! With a file that large,
> it's difficult to scroll through, but I've not found any obvious answers
> there.
>
> So I'm out of ideas here as to where to even look for cause.
>
> (And yes, I've already had the upgrade idea. Not currently an option I'm
> afraid.)
>
> Can anyone help with suggestions?
>

> Stephen Thomas
> Library Systems Manager
> Barr Smith Library
> UNIVERSITY OF ADELAIDE SA 5005 AUSTRALIA
> Phone: +61 8 831 35190 / Mobile: 0402 069 087 / Fax: +61 8 831 34369
> Email: stephen.tho...@adelaide.edu.au
> CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
>
> *Please consider the environment before printing.*
>
> IMPORTANT: This message may contain confidential or legally privileged
> information. If you think it was sent to you by mistake, please delete all
> copies and advise the sender. For the purposes of the SPAM Act 2003, this
> email is authorised by The University of Adelaide.

> List Etiquette:

Jason Sherman
Systems Librarian
University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma
405.574.1340