Hi Isidro and lists,

Regarding point 6 -- I see what you're saying, but it shouldn't really be
up to the DSpace community repositories (who all use the handle prefix /
identifier system, as I'm sure you know!) to argue why 1234/123 is better
than thesis/phsyics/something, because we're not the ones proposing that
URI segments be part of any metric used to judge the "world ranking" of a
repository. It's also not as simple as you might think, particularly when
ensuring unique URIs and persistent URIs, etc.
I think you're saying that URIs should either "look nice" or "be
meaningful", or both, but I'm not sure we should rely on URIs to be too
meaningful, especially when we have ways of including that with semantic
markup in references, structured data in our METS/ORE feeds via OAI, etc.

Regarding point 5 -- I don't see that this matters either. No end user
cares what the IR is actually called, surely? Whatever arguments you can
make for our IRs having "bad names", punishing us for preserving the
permanence of those names and URIs we've already minted seems a bit unfair?
The first IR I thought of when reading this was, of course,
http://dspace.mit.edu.
I think point 5 actually punishes EPrints repositories most unfairly, since
"eprints" is an accepted name for digital manuscripts as well as the
platform used -- I think I've even seen IRs called "eprints.something.etc"
running platforms other than EPrints.

Numbers 6 and 7, I think I agree with Mark, but don't really have anything
to add. I don't really understand why this would even be considered as a
metric, let alone grounds for exclusion. What are some examples of cases
where long URIs (or, eg. "directories as fulltext" hosted in IRs with their
own dir structures, which happens) or URIs which happen to contain numbers
result in end users or machines not being able to properly locate/use
hosted resources?

Number 8 is probably the thing that will punish my own institution most,
which is a pity because we have a large absolute amount of fulltext, but
for various reasons, a lot of record only items as well. This is probably a
philisophical argument about defining an "OA repository" I guess?

I hope my criticisms here don't seem too harsh - thanks for taking the time
to listen to feedback.

On a lighter note, I'm sort of pleased these proposals have been doing the
rounds, as I think it might just be the thing that convinces my own
institution to take "world repository ranking" off our KPIs, and
concentrate more on qualitative value of the repository we host.

Cheers

Kim (a DSpace dev/admin, and already biased against quantitative metrics in
IRs so not exactly an objective commenter ;))