I wouldn't recommend altering/damaging your existing PDF's. That just
sounds like its inviting risk.

A better route would be to build a DSpace curation task, that is capable of
doing the automated PDF conversion, leaving the old PDF's in the ORIGINAL
bundle, and the PDF/A's going into a bundle such as CONVERTED.

Also, what conversion tools are you looking at? i.e. a Java library /
remote web service? Also, I'd take a look at the license, hopefully a
compatible license with DSpace (i.e. non GPL, non AGPL).

Peter Dietz
Longsight
www.longsight.com
pe...@longsight.com