Hi all,

I'm forwarding on this message from Darcy Dapra at Google Scholar. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to ask on this list. If we cannot answer them, we'll make sure to forward them on to the Google Scholar team for additional feedback.

- Tim

Hello! I manage partnerships for Google Scholar. Among other things, I liaise with institutional repositories to help ensure that their collections are well-indexed in Google Scholar. For this, I have had opportunity to work with colleagues at DuraSpace (Hi Tim!) as well as at many universities.

Recently, web spam analyses here at Google have come across a DSpace customization/extension <http://ukcorr.org/2012/03/22/using-google-analytics-statistics-within-dspace-3/> that has had the unfortunate side-effect of blocking indexing of full-text articles/theses. This extension redirected user clicks on bitstream URLs to the publications' landing pages. Based on conversations with some of the affected repositories, I understand that the goal of the redirection is to facilitate analytics for bitstream views. However, such redirection breaks the "what-you-see-is-what-we-index" model that web search services use and causes such URLs to be marked as cloaking/spam.

Colleagues at Edinburgh, University of Illinois and several other institutions have been really helpful in removing these redirects quickly from the repositories they manage. I would like to take this opportunity to thank them. We on the Scholar team have worked with web search folks here to ensure that these collections have been re-included as soon as possible.

If your repository includes either the earlier version of this extension or other code that redirects users from bitstream URLs to landing page URLs, I strongly recommend removing/disabling such redirects to avoid a similar situation. Finally, we've worked with Tim to update the official DSpace indexing recommendations <https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC4x/Search+Engine+Optimization#SearchEngineOptimization-AvoidredirectingfiledownloadstoItemlandingpages> to include this issue.

Many thanks,

Darcy