I see two problems.

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 08:42:58AM -0700, SSK wrote:
> I run [dspace]/bin/dspace test-email
> result:
>
> dspace@dspace-pc:/dspace/bin$ ./dspace test-email
> log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
> java.io.FileNotFoundException: /dspace/log/dspace.log.2014-09-29 (Permissão
> negada)

I don't speak Portugese, but I think this is saying that the user who
is running bin/dspace is not permitted to write into the DSpace log
file.  That should not be related to the other problem:

> About to send test email:
>  - To: ********
>  - Subject: DSpace test email
>  - Server: **********
>
> Error sending email:
>  - Error: javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;
>   nested exception is:
>       javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
> sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find
> valid certification path to requested target
>
> Please see the DSpace documentation for assistance.

DSpace and the mail server attempted to negotiate an encrypted
connection, but the servlet container (Tomcat?) in which DSpace is
running does not have a copy of the root certificate which the mail
server is using, and so does not trust the connection.  If you want to
use SMTP-in-TLS or STARTTLS then you will need to get a copy of the
mail server's root certificate and place it in the servlet container's
trust store so that the mail server's own certificate can be validated.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library