A few notes on this Vagrant v. Docker discussion...

Vagrant is *specifically* built for development/testing environments. It's not recommended to use in Production. Take a look at how it's advertised...it's "Development environments made easy": https://www.vagrantup.com/ Vagrant is also a level of abstraction above Docker. It's about providing a "repeatable" virtual machine environment, and you can do so using Puppet (which is what vagrant-dspace uses), Chef, Ansible, or even Docker itself! That's right, Vagrant actually has a "Docker Provisioner" which lets you spin up a VM, auto-install Docker and one (or more) Docker containers. http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/provisioning/docker.html

Docker on the other hand is built more for Continuous Integration / Production environments. You could use it for a development environment, but it's more ideal for CI. That being said, you could use it *with* Vagrant...where you actually build a Docker container for your Production environment, but have the option of starting it via Vagrant for development / testing work.

Here's an excellent answer to this question from the guy who wrote Vagrant on why comparing Vagrant to Docker is a bit like apples vs. oranges: http://stackoverflow.com/a/21314566/3750035

My personal opinion here is that Docker is worth learning/using, IF you plan to use it in your Production environment. However, if you have no plans to use Docker in Production, then you may find it is easier to"mimic" your existing production server by just using Vagrant.

Currently, we do NOT have a centrally managed DSpace Docker container (so anything out there is third-party built...so mileage may vary). But we do obviously provide vagrant-dspace (which is maintained by Committers, as several of us use it for development/testing of DSpace). https://github.com/DSpace/vagrant-dspace

- Tim