Peter,

Just some brief feedback, this sounds very much like a DCMI Encoding
Scheme. The goal of which is to express the structure and/or source of the
value of a DC metadata field without needing to create extensive nesting.

http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/Glossary/Encoding_Scheme

Cheers,
Mark

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 4:06 PM, Peter Dietz <pe...@longsight.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone stored nested / rich metadata in DSpace?
>
> An example I'm thinking of is for storing richer amounts of metadata for
> an object. For example:
>
>    - Author
>       - first-name: Peter
>       - last-name: Dietz
>       - name-as-it-appears: Peter Dietz
>       - institution: Longsight
>       - date-of-birth: ...
>       - ...
>    - Author
>       - first-name: Sam
>       - last-name: Ottenhoff
>       - ...
>
> The Authority Control system of DSpace looks like it approaches this, but
> the documentation isn't clear, and I'm not sure if it requires that your
> data values reside in some Library of Congress registry.
>
> The hack-job I have in mind would be to serialize the information... to
> json... and then store that into a metadata field.
>
> So.
> schema.author.serialized = {first-name: "Peter", last-name: "Dietz",
> "name-as-it-appears" : "Peter Dietz", "institution": "Longsight", ... }
>
> However, I'm tempted to think that DSpace should either have the ability
> to plug into any registry (hopefully there are registries you can populate
> and maintain with your own local data), or to extend DSpace's metadata data
> model to support nested/rich data.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> ________________
> Peter Dietz
> Longsight
> www.longsight.com
> pe...@longsight.com
> p: 740-599-5005 x809

> List Etiquette:

[image: @mire Inc.]
*Mark Diggory*
*2888 Loker Avenue East, Suite 315, Carlsbad, CA. 92010*
*Esperantolaan 4, Heverlee 3001, Belgium*
http://www.atmire.com