On Thu, 14 May 2009 14:18:26 -0700, "John Hays" <j...@hays.org> said:

> Here is my thought on this.
>
> Radios should be identified by their official callsign (and optional
> designator character), tactical / special event callsigns can be put
> into the 4 char comment, on voice, or in the message field for SMS.
> Certainly, the local repeater could be allowed to pass tactical radio
> callsigns, but across the network you are just asking for routing
> errors if more than one station decides their callsign of the day is
> "TAC1" or "BASE" or "EOC" (mitigated by registration, but then only
> one station in the entire network can be "TAC1", in a dynamic
> addressed network it would be anarchy).

It hasn't been "anarchy" yet... I disagree.  Yes, you have to watch out
that you aren't using some tacticals that someone else is using on the
same day.  How often has that happened in the real world yet?  :-)

> The filter would have to be pretty "loose" but keep it to looking
> something like a callsign and definitely could filter certain profane
> words.

Ohh.. now you've opened Pandora's box.  Is it the Network's
responsibility to stop someone from transmitting naughty words in their
callsign field?  :-)

On both of the above ... I say "no filters".  Transmissions are the
responsibility of the transmitting station... as always.  Software in
charge of "human policy" always ends up a mess, and people figure out
ways around it anyway.

Nate WY0X
--
  Nate Duehr