On Thu, 14 May 2009 21:31:17 -0000, "john_ke5c" <k...@hot.rr.com> said:
> > I don't like the idea of filtering "bogus" callsigns.  What might be
> > "bogus" to you, might be my special event's tactical callsigns.
> > (There's nothing stopping anyone from registering "SAG1, SAG1, NET,
> > EVENT", etc.)
>
> I don't care if this is politically incorrect or insensitive, but if you
> want "tactical" this, that and the other, just join your local police
> force or the marines.  You can probably even get tactical underwear
> there.  If you want to operate on the amateur bands and modes, use an
> amateur callsign.  10-4?

LOL!  With this I actually totally agree with you John.  People with
lightbars on their vehicles without real Public Safety credentials make
me cringe.

The reason for Tactical callsigns in D-STAR SPECIFICALLY is if you have
a bunch of radios already programmed with CALLSIGN SQUELCH.  And it's
only a hypothetical anyway... Most of this callsign routing, callsign
squelch, etc... is WAY beyond the mental capabilities of a WHOLE lot of
people in the volunteer pool of operators.

I was just saying: I don't want the Gateway filtering things... the
operators need to step up and learn something to use this system.  It's
more complex than "mash to mumble" and the more the "infrastructure"
tries to make it simpler, the more complex it actually becomes.

Case in point:  D-Plus linking is great, but it wasn't implemented in a
way to avoid the problems associated with mixing it with callsign
routing.  I callsign route to a repeater that's involved in a D-Plus
link and (in my opinion) "bad" things happen.

A sure sign that an attempt to make an already-working system "easier",
actually makes it harder in the corner-cases, but "easier" in the
general sense.

Not trying to embarass anyone, but here's another example:  I had an
e-mail today from one of our local leadership people saying, "Please
keep Port B clear for an event tomorrow."  Okay, well.. let me explain
here... in a callsign-routed "always on" network, there's no "keeping it
clear" unless you want me to kill off D-Plus and the Gateway for ALL of
the modules... your Net Controller instead NEEDS to know how to reply to
a link made inbound from somewhere else and politely disconnect it, or
respond to an interloping Dongle user, or how to hit the one-touch and
reply to a callsign-routed "CQ" and explain there's a Net going on.  The
network is ALWAYS on in D-STAR... unless you're directing me to shut
down the Gateway... was my reply...

If we start adding "filters", sure then a sysadmin could "authorize"
only the callsigns that are involved in the "event", but that puts an
unnecessary burden on the system admin or delegates that can more
adequately be handled by the conscious decision to teach the Net Control
and other stations HOW the system works...

That's my opinion anyway... "Power to the people" so to speak.  LOL!

Nate WY0X
--
  Nate Duehr
  n...@natetech.com