> There are basically three options

There are other options but the one I like the most is that Robin could add
local gateway dplus configuration options to determine how slash routed and
callsign routed streams, both incoming and outgoing from RF and from links, are
handled, i.e., forwarded or ignored.  This would allow the gateway owners -
those who provide the backbone that makes DStar viable, interesting, and
marketable - the freedom to resolve the inherent conflicts between the base
DStar protocol and the dplus extension as they best see fit for their local
DStar user milieu.

> For all of those who don't want the DPLUS software to route call sign routed
> packets into the network, there's just as many of us who think that it is
> working they way it should. So no matter what Robin does, a number of people
> are going to think that it is wrong, he can't win.

Sure Robin can win - by providing local gateway control over dplus callsign and
slash routing behavior.  Then you can be happy with your gateway and many of us
can be happy with ours, instead of just you being happy.

> We got what we got, instead of complaining about how bad it works, why don't
> we think of ways, using the existing system, that we can do things to make it
> better?

That's exactly what we are doing.  Dplus currently only works well for the
linkers, not those who appreciate and use callsign and/or slash routing.  We
want to make it better for those amateurs too.

> This thread/discussion has popped up probably a dozen times now, it's getting
> quite boring and wasting people's time.

Yes, problems have a way of popping up until they are properly fixed.

73 -- John