Chuck,

I don't have personal experience with the VXR 5000, but if Pin 3 is flat to the modulator and pin 6 is flat from the discriminator and it is true FM (no PM), then it may be a good candidate. Just start with my article and the pinout at http://www.repeater-builder.com/yaesu-vertex-standard/vxr-5000/vxr-5000-repeater-mods.html -- buy a node adapter (Satoshi or Enicomms) and give it a try, if the VXRs work out, let us all know, if not, look for something that will work like the Kenwood TKRs and use the node adapter with that.