On Jan 14, 2008 8:52 PM, Sean McGrath - Sun Microsystems Ireland
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Aubrey Li stated:
> < Every first time to run dtrace command after the system boot up,
> < It takes a very long time to get response.
> < But the second time is OK, as follows:
> <
> < # time dtrace -l > /dev/null
> <
> < real    4m8.011s
> < user    0m0.116s
> < sys     0m2.420s
>
>   This first time is probably when the kernel is loading the dtrace modules.
>   Though still seems slow, 4 minutes.
>     What kind of system (cpu speed etc) is the machine ?

# psrinfo -vp
The physical processor has 2 virtual processors (0 1)
  x86 (GenuineIntel 10674 family 6 model 23 step 4 clock 2400 MHz)
        Intel(r) CPU                  @ 2.40GHz

So, I failed to understand the modules loading needs 4 minutes.

> < # time dtrace -l > /dev/null
> <
> < real    0m0.632s
> < user    0m0.075s
> < sys     0m0.553s
> <
>
>  And the second time, the dtrace modules are already loaded so less time.

This makes sense to me.

> < Any clue?
> <
> < Thanks,