On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 05:00, David Berry wrote:
> Problem: After dvdrecord produces the "Fixating..." message, the
> following message is written to /var/log/messages:
>
> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 13473, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
>                                       lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
>
> and the whole system then hangs and needs to be rebooted. The resulting
> disk is, however, readable when mounted - the only thing I notice is that
> /var/log/message contains "UDF-fs: No VRS found" after mounting the disk.
> Under Windows XP, Nero has no problems writing to the same media on the
> same device.
> Any help clearing up this problem would be *much* appreciated! Details
> are:
> O/S: Redhat 9
> dvdrtools: v0.1.4
> Kernel: 2.4.21
> Media: Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-RW

I've spent about 20 hours on this with both a 3G and 4G DVD-RAM drive.
I finally came to a common denominator, the kernel.

Kernel 2.4.20+ is causing this _exact_ issue with ATA reliability.  And
even when I _do_ get a successful record, I typically get errors.  The
"proof is in the pudding" when I use a DVD-RAM drive and packet write
(rewrite) DVD-RAM discs that does "verify after write" -- I get errors
and rewrites all over the place.

I've only followed the ATA development on the kernel from an "outside"
perspective, but I believe Hendrick's ATA work is no longer in the
2.4.20+.  Or they did something else.  And it shows.  I've played with a
number of stock and Red Hat kernels and this is the only thing I can
find that is common in all situations/systems/drives.

I've gone back to a Red Hat 2.4.19 kernel on some of my systems, but I
also use NFS.  The Linux NFS client is far better in 2.4.20+ kernels.
So I'm considering going way back to a Red Hat 2.4.9 kernel instead
(before all the VM screwing).

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MCSE/MCSA, RHCE/LPIC-2, SCSecA/SCNA and dozens more