On Sep 9, 2008, at 1:49 PM, Alexander Polakov wrote:

* Anselm R Garbe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [080909 17:01]:
2008/9/9  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Hello there. It's my first mail on this ML. I wonder if there is any
possibility to use xft fonts in dwm. Becouse this patch
http://koluthcka.ru/fwm/dwm-4.7-xft.diff doesn't work for me.

I guess this patch just needs to be upgraded to apply with vanilla
dwm-5.2. Otherwise I think it should work fine.

It definetely *should* work fine, but it had not worked *well* ever, because it was
a quick hack.

I tried adding pango+xft support because bitmap CJK fonts suck, and also just to see how much bloat pango adds. Here's what I found on Debian-stable-x86:

          Resident ResShared
core X      1.2M     1.0M
Xft         2.3M     1.8M      (+ more depending on fonts)
pango+xft   4.2M     2.9M      (+ more depending on fonts)

Note that Xft by itself is a step backwards, because it doesn't help you with character encodings, while core X does.

So for another 1.1M of non-shared memory (~ 1 bash instance), you too can have both your English text and J-pop song titles rendered in all their fuzzy glory.