On Tue 16 Dec 2008 - 04:08PM, Donald Chai wrote:
> use his status program. His intent is that anyone who can't figure out
> xsetroot can use 4 X11 procedures from C.

actually my intent was to get away from bash scripts/whatnot and having
to use so many different programs to generate a status line.

Anyways, here's my "finished" dwm status code.  It doesnt use any external
calls now, so it uses much less memory than the multiple subshell bash
scripts i used before.  I get the cpu/wireless/battery info directly
from /proc in C, so there is no need to fork/pipe anything.

Since it fully supports the libnotify specs, it also has the benefit of
catching all notifications (no more annoying popups, and keeps
notification-daemon
from spawning, so even more processes/memory saved).

Finally, just for kicks I added in an mpd songchange function to give me
a quick "artist - title" message.

There are #ifdef's for all the fancy stuff, so if anyone wants to test
it out just modify the Makefile to suit.

Jeremy