Title: Message
> Why can't the ARRL make LOTW information available via a 'read-only'
> search engine.

Quite simply, the ARRL does not want anyone "trolling" for QSOs.  Either
the information uploaded by both stations matches or it does not.  To
allow unrestricted searching would invite the following abuse:

W4TV searches for unconfirmed QSOs with: K4TV, W4TU, W4NU, W3TV, W3TU,
W3NU, W4EV, W3EV on CW and W4TB, W4TD, W4TE on phone.  On finding an
entry that is "needed" sends the station/manager a card with a note
claiming to have been the one to have made the the QSO "but QRM or QRN
must have effected what you heard."

There is an API available to award sponsors who wish to accept LotW
confirmations.  It is easy for them to submit an inquiry to LotW and
get a confirmation or rejection.  The ball is in their court  ...

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV