I'm not sure that LOTW would have any issues with storage, or hosting.

Last I checked, there were 128 million contacts in their database. Let's say
that each contact took up 2000 characters of storage. That works out to about
256 gigabytes of storage; Hard disks that hold that are about $90 at Fry's.  A
simplistic  example for sure, since  that doesn't include powering that hard
drive, keeping it on the internet, etc.

A better estimate is what it would take to host a 1000 gigabyte (let's be
conservative) database, 24x7.  Some companies are offering that for about $500
a month. Probably not enterprise level. So just pick a multiplier -- 10 times
that?

What's the savings of the postage on confirmations, alone?

I see that LOTW is removing a lot of 'friction' in the QSLing process, which is
a good thing.

Those concerned about losing a revenue source in their qsl request tithing
should  ask for an 'upload service fee' to submit a matching qsl record to
LOTW.  Better yet, take those requests and service fees over the internet --
put that $.41 and up postage fee towards DXpeditions. Card by mail? Postage,
Card fee. Make it easy to order.

Lee Wical <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I don't know how ARRL can afford LoTW and its present and furure storage.
It will turn out, money wise, to be an albatross around the Leagues
I'm told all monies go into the operating fund. Is this what the
membership wants? I don't think so.
Wait an see.
Lee