Very interesting Art. I played golf years ago with a fellow named Maunder and he sometimes forgot to count all of his strokes. I wonder if they were related!!
73,
Chris, ACØM

Art RX9TX wrote:
 Hello ,

If you think it is bad now imagine being an HF operator during the
Maunder Minimum.

From Wikipedia...

The Maunder Minimum is the name given to the period roughly from
1645 to 1715, when sunspots became exceedingly rare, as noted by
solar observers of the time. It is named after the solar astronomer
Edward W. Maunder (1851√1928) who discovered the dearth of sunspots
during that period by studying records from those years. During one
30-year period within the Maunder Minimum, for example, astronomers
observed only about 50 sunspots, as opposed to a more typical 40,000√
50,000 spots.

The Maunder Minimum occurred between 1645 and 1715 when only about
50 spots appeared as opposed to the typical 40√50,000 spots. The
minima counts for 10-year periods from 1610√1681 are as follows:

Decade Sunspots
1610 9
1620 6
1630 9
1640 2
1650 3
1660 1
1670 0
1680 1

During the Maunder Minimum enough sunspots were sighted so that 11-
year cycles could be extrapolated from the count. The maxima
occurred in 1674, 1684, 1695, 1705 and 1716